Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Cookies 2007: Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies



This was my oldest DS's pick this year - yet another recipe from the 2005 Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies issue. He did all of the work himself with me serving as advisor and sous chef - meaning mostly what I did was clean up behind him. Man, I wish I could have sous chef in the kitchen with me when I cook!

Cream Cheese Filled Blondies
I have to admit that I tend to avoid any kind of blondie or brownie with anything swirled in it. Not because I don't like them - they are usually delicious - but because they are fussy. I'm not fond of fussy. But this was DS's pick and after all, it is the holidays. It was also a chance for DS to find out why I'm not so fond of making these kinds of treats. Getting the batter to swirl proved to be quite challenging - the cream cheese batter was quite light and the blondie batter was quite dense so that we never really did succeed in getting a proper swirl - more of a layered effect. This did not prove to be a problem - they were delicious anyway. I would note though that these turn out more like a dense cake than a blondie. Again, not a problem.

Still to come: Chai Shortbread and Magic/Seven Layer Bars........