Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Potato Soup with Fire Roasted Vegetables



.
I suppose, that somewhere in my mind, people visit this site for the recipes, and not for my witty banter.

It's a supposition that calms me. Since I kinda-sorta dig my recipes (fancy that!) and am pretty sure my girly life is hardly fodder for an interesting read. (Debatable, sure, but still my contention.) A redundant read, yes, but compelling...not so much.

I am toying (as I write) with the idea of writing a template post and just changing the adjectives with each passing post, to fill this space, without having to drive you to utter and complete boredom.

It would go something like this:

Hi (Peaches, Darlings, My Dears, Cats and Kittens)!

Today I (headed out, ventured, traipsed, found my self at, was abducted and taken) to (a party, bbq, a sailing excursion, random event, the farmers market, on vacation, and/or got lost in the dreaded Valley) with (The Ombudsman, The Rock Goddess, The Hostess, The Pastry Chef, Charlie, my abductor, a Steve McQueen impersonator...)

On the way there, I (got lost, got inspired, was trapped in a paparazzi-induced traffic jam, detoured through the dreaded Valley) and was (uncharacteristically late, perpetually early, caught in the rain, dazzled by the amazing weather, distracted by a fleeting glimpse of an Olsen twin).

When I arrived, I was (surrounded by striking writers, overdressed for the occasion, under-dressed for the weather, ladened with food, giddy with delight, balancing three platters, four platters, six platters and a pitcher of pre-mixed cocktails) but still managed to find my way in and (got tipsy too quickly, ate myself silly, bowled over by the winter theme - replete with snow - in this heat, un-impressed with the star turn out, blase about the star turn out, bemused by the star turn out, pleased in general, ready to get the party started)

We all (ate, drank, debauched, were demure, giggled, chatted, enjoyed, reveled, huddled for warmth under the heat lamps, melted into chaise lounges) and (lazed the day away, partied the night away, stood on deck - mesmerized by the sea, drowned in a pool of cliches). Overall it was a (rockin' good time, delightful soiree, mind-bending experience, beyond words, chic and fab, too wanton to print, utterly fantabulous.) and I (wish you were there, wish I could remember more details, wish I had enlisted a driver, wish I could figure out my on-board navigation system and hadn't ended up in the Valley, wish you all a day as fun, wish I had taken the weather in to account when I threw on that sheer sheath.)

And since (I made such a tasty dish, ate such a tasty dish, was given the recipe for such a tasty dish) I simply must share.

So try this my (peaches, loves, angels, dears) and taste the joy.


2 large baking/Idaho Potatoes
6 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 jalapeno peppers
2 green bell peppers
2 red bell peppers
1 cup corn (in LA, there is (oddly) still/already corn available at the Farmers Market, so I just went for it. )
1 large zucchini
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Salt

Heat a dry (cast iron) pan over medium high heat. Add the whole jalapeno peppers and let blacken. This may make your kitchen smoke, so make sure the fan is on, or a window is open. When charred, remove and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let steam that way for at least 5 minutes.

Toast the corn in the same dry skillet until slightly charred. Remove and set aside. Repeat with diced squash.

Roast the red and green bell peppers over an open flame, or under the broiler. When blackened, repeat the process you did for the jalapenos.

Dice your bell peppers and jalapenos.

Peel and quarter the potatoes. Simmer in the vegetable stock with the tomato paste, until soft, about 15 minutes. When the are soft, turn off the heat and let cool slightly then puree with an immersion blender,or in a large blender (keeping in mind not to fill the blender up more than half way, or else it will explode. Kaboom. Soup on the ceiling.) Add salt to taste, and the smoked paprika.

_________________________________________

Looking for somewhere to eat in the San Fernando Valley? And I do hope that my darling Valley readers, should there be any, know I'm just teasing...it's a lovely place. I'm sure.

Starbucks ousted CEO Jim Donald yesterday and said that, effective immediately, Mr. Schultz, the chairman, will take on the additional role. Mr. Schultz, 54 years old, came to the Seattle coffee company in 1982 when it had four locations and nurtured it to become the empire it is today. Serving as CEO from 1987 to 2000, he presided over the company's 1992 public offering. Starbucks now has more than 15,000 locations around the globe, products on supermarket shelves and its own record label.

Smoked paprika, hails specifically from La Vera, Spain. It is available as sweet, bittersweet, and hot. - Big Oven.com